I'm enjoying a study of the God Moments in my life. It's loosely based on the book "God Moments" by Alan Wright. It's basically a study of the feasts of Israel taken from Leviticus 23. My homework for each chapter is to journal, blog, photograph or otherwise capture a memory that God brought to mind during the study. I have truly enjoyed rehearsing these God Moments thus far and am so excited to see what God reminds me of in the future.
So, the assignment for March is to capture 3 moments. One is a moment of "Holy Attraction", another is an "Amazing Rescue", and the third is what ever God brought to mind. (In reverse order...)
1. God pricked my heart to really remember why I collect penguin items (and to showcase them). He asks me to remember what it is about penguins that reflects Him. I've given a few glimpses (here and here) into what penguins mean to me but there is much more that I've not been able to verbalize just yet.
2. Amazing Rescue - God filled my mind with scenes from my childhood. I grew up in the country near a creek with two older brothers. Yes, I followed them through briars, trees, fences, and mud. I followed them down snowy hillsides onto the ice covered creek. I followed them and their friend as they forged through the creek waters swollen from the rain. Rushing waters that knocked a young girl off her feet and sent her spiraling and bobbing into deep water. I never lost conciousness and I survived that day. My brother's friend pulled me from the water. I lay gasping for breath and spitting up water on the grassy bank that spring. It is a memory forever etched in my mind - a time when God's supernatural protection abounded.3. Holy Attraction - It was 1986, I was a freshman in college. I was not walking with God. There was too much that I had to experience. I wanted to make decisions for myself. After all, I had new found freedom. There were six of us in the dorm room that day. Someone unfolded a small foil package. There it was. Crack. The presence of the Holy Spirit within my own body was so intense. Leave. Now. Get away from this. I did. It took less than a minute after seeing the drugs for me to be away from that room and that temptation. In some ways it was less of an Holy Attraction and more of a Holy Aversion. I have never used illegal drugs because I knew that God did not want that for me. I have never been interested in doing drugs. Even now I am careful of the prescription drugs that I take. Why did I feel compelled to leave that room so strongly? I rest fully in the knowledge that it was God that drew me away from that. I wish I could say that it was a major turning point in my life but I had much learning to do still.
(Lord God, I thank you so much for Your presence in that room. I thank you for Your strength which drew me away. I thank you for Your presence at the creek. I thank you for Your strength through my human rescuer that day. I am truly humbled that you would keep me from harm in so many ways. I am awed that you would draw me to yourself even when I was too blind to recognize it. Forgive me. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.)
No comments:
Post a Comment