Friday, January 4, 2008

New Year, New Post

Surprise, I'm posting a new entry.

I've been land locked for some time. I am now hoping to get back to my daily swim in the blogging sea on a regular basis. I've refreshed my mind with the original intent of this blog and am looking to God for what comes next.

Psalm 4:2, 8
  • O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? how long will you love vanity and seek after leasing? Selah.
  • I will both lay me down in peace and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
My mind races with questions. The first word that jumped out at me was "leasing". Did it mean the same thing at the time it was translated as it does now? Leasing a house, leasing a car... these are the things that come to mind in my little world today. Would that concept apply here? And, what word was it translated from? Might it have other meanings? Boy, I need to get some research tools.

God is talking here and He's talking to me because I'm one of those humans - those "sons of men" even though I'm a daughter. How long will I love vanity? Wait, what does vanity really mean in biblical terms? Let's go searching... The best online tool I've ever encountered is located at http://www.biblegateway.com/. There's a dictionary tool at http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/dictionaries. Searching Easton's dictionary for vanity doesn't provide a definiton. But, searching for leasing provides that it's an old English word meaning lies or lying. Hmmm... In the mean time, I found a biblical definition of vanity - "emptiness". Looking over the entry from http://blueletterbible.org/ which references the International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia, I see that "breath of air, vapor" would also be an appropriate definition.

Now that I'm armed with those definitions, let's see what God is asking me today...
  • O human, how long will you pervert my reputation with sin? how long will you prefer emptiness and seek after lies?
The question cuts to my soul and echos in my mind. What about yours? How can I go forward? I'll start with confession of my daily transgressions in conversation with God even now. And reading on, I find solace in knowing that the Lord is the only one that provides true safety, peace and sleep no matter the circumstances. Thank you, LORD.

Good evening (oops, morning) to you all.

No comments: