Thursday, January 17, 2008

Bridges and Babies

My mind has been swirling with the difference God makes in a life. I hear and know of wonderful families that are so thankful for the miracle child they have. Then, this week carries the news that a father has thrown his 4 children off a bridge to their deaths. The gulf between depravity and love has become a little more clear for me.

Gwyneth Rose has been honored with parents - Nathan and Tricia - that cherish her immensely, even in times of trouble. Their faith is obvious and strong. At 24 weeks gestation, she made an early entry into this world. She is beautiful. The details of her tiny body declare boldly of a Creator God who put a lot of thought into His creation. I praise Him for His wonderful works. Thank you, Nathan and Tricia, for being willing to share your story. I've only been reading a few days but it has truly blessed me.

Ashley Kate is a transplant survivor. Her parents cherish her all the time, even when her ornery streak shows. Their faith is obvious and strong. I've kept up with Ashley's story from the very beginning. The miracles that God has worked in her life and through her life are numerous. He even used her to open my heart.

Yet, my heart is broken each time I see the news reports on the 4 children thrown from the Dauphin Island Bridge by a father mad at the children's mother. I don't even have the words to express how heart wrenching this report is to me. How can a person be so selfish? What filled his life that would allow those thoughts to take over? And then put action to those thoughts? I just don't understand.

Do you see the difference? Parents that value life because they know God gave that life are such a contrast to a parent that has no regard for life.

(Dear God, forgive our nation, forgive our sins. Please Lord. Forgive us for letting the value You placed on lives go so far away. Thank you Lord.)