Sunday, January 13, 2008

Oklahoma Pineapple

I've always enjoyed pineapple - from a can or even fresh. It is a sweet juicy fruit that comes in a pretty, prickly, unique container.

I learned a valuable lesson from a pineapple one summer. I had purchased a fresh pineapple for a family treat. I cut off the top, cut away the core and the rind to reveal the best part. Then, we tasted the sweet fruit. It was an every day event. Only, this time I asked my son if he wanted to plant the top.

Sure, okay. Well, we didn't really plant it. It stayed on the kitchen counter for a couple of days until I decided to do something with it. It wasn't carefully planted, I just sorta dumped it there in the compost pile with the rest of the trimmings. And then, I ignored it. But, God didn't. There was enough rain that summer to keep it watered. Then, after a period of time, I noticed that it was putting out new leaves. Hmmm... It had put down roots and begun to grow. How exciting, a pineapple in Oklahoma. This thing had been chopped off at the heart and abandoned in a pile of rotting stuff. Yet, God added some fertile soil and just enough water to cause new growth. Oh, God is good!

Did my pineapple produce any fruit? No, the harsh Oklahoma winter killed the plant before any fruit could be seen. (Of course, I didn't protect it from those harsh elements and if I had the outcome might be different.) Did that make it any less of a pineapple plant? No way. When a Christian has been cut up and tossed out - emotionally, spiritually or even physically - by this world, God still provides the soil of His Word and the water of His living Spirit to produce growth. And, for that I praise Him.

There is more that God wants to tell about Oklahoma pineapples... Stay tuned.

No comments: