Friday, May 27, 2011

Life Writing: Getting Started and Squirrels

Welcome to the first installment of Life Writing.  I'm looking forward to sharing this endeavor with you.  Life Writing is writing about one's life.  It may be your own life in memoir or autobiographical style or it may be the life of someone else in memoir or biographical style.  For me, life writing is about capturing memories.  There is a distinct blur between fiction and non-fiction.  It's writing what you remember.  I started writing my life story several years ago.  I'm writing it scrapbook style and I'm on Volume IV.  I'll be posting specific excerpts here.  So...

Squirrel!
One winter Dad came home with a bunch of baby squirrels in his pocket, seven to be exact.   Mom raised five of those squirrels through the spring, feeding them from an eye dropper until they were big enough to drink out of a bowl.  One chilly evening, there was an escape.  We thought the poor squirrel escapee wouldn’t make it through the night.  Mom went to the store the next morning and when she got back, it was hanging on the screen door wanting inside.  They stayed inside in a makeshift cage until early spring when they moved to a large backyard cage my dad built just for them.

My brothers thought it would be hilarious to put the dog in the cage one day.  I calmly went and asked Mom if that would be okay.  She went straightway to discuss the situation with them.  I smiled a satisfied little sister smile until Mom chewed me out for tattling.  By the time those squirrels were old enough to fend for themselves, there were only three left.  On the day of their release back to the wild, two of them promptly ran across the road and up the transformer pole to the transformer.  The other lived to a fine old squirrel age next to the creek behind the trailer.

No comments: