There are a multitude of Bible translations out there. I've heard that the only "right" one is the King James Version. I've heard that the King James is so full of errors that it should never be consulted. I've heard that the NIV is full of errors and contradictions. I've heard that some translations are just a mockery of the original Hebrew and Greek.
Have you ever noticed that every person describes an event differently? Even if every person sees the event at the same time, each of them have a different view of the event. Certain facts can be determined from eyewitness accounts but each account has differences. Have you also noticed that every person describes a photograph differently?
Every person brings a unique and individual perspective to life. My experiences and life are different from yours. I know that. You know that. It's an awesome thing. How I translate or communicate my experience to you may not be the same as how you receive it. If I use the word "peace" to describe the absence of conflict but you use the word to describe my conforming to your thinking, we are NOT communicating. The only way we can communicate is if we have a standard by which to judge. We have to both agree to use the same definition of a word before communication is a success.
Which leads me back to Bible translations. There is a truth by which all translations are judged, God Himself. I enjoy using the King James Version because it has high expectations. Yes, you must understand formal English if you use the King James. It has the attitude of grandeur, of aristocracy, of formalness. But, I often compare translations. The Common English Version is an informal version. It is like meeting God at the kitchen table instead of the banquet hall.
All modern English translations rely on translations of translations and copies. The meanings of our words have changed. Some words have been lost and are no longer used. Others have been added to describe changes in society, science, and technology. Can you image using LOL in a Bible translation? Would the Apostle Paul use technology terms instead of athletic terms in his letter to the Romans?
We did not live at the time the Bible was written. Phrases and terms had meaning at the time that we don't use or see now. And, the next translator thinks his version is better than any previous version. It is up to us to choose a version and use it. Key- USE IT. God's word is alive. It has the ability to meet the needs of people today even though it was written long ago. God satisfies the longing soul and fills the hungry soul with goodness. He saves souls out of trouble and distress. He brings them out of darkness. So, I give thanks unto the Lord for He is good and His mercy endures for ever. His love never fails. (Psalm 107)
(Father God, I praise your name that your word does not return void. Every translation has some human error in it. Yet, you make yourself know through it. Thank you. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.)
No comments:
Post a Comment