Thursday, May 19, 2011

Genealogy

I've been tramping through piles of left behind papers.  I can't find all the information that I want to find.  Ugh, it's so frustrating.

There are some wonderful nuggets of information in these papers like great-grandma's marriage certificate.  Yet, there is nothing about Jephtha's personality.  How do I write about a young man that lived only 25 years?  How can I describe to you a young man that died when my mother was only a year old?  My grandmother, Jephtha's sister, has been gone for more than four years now.  Why didn't I pay more attention when she talked about her brother?  Why didn't I ask for more information while she was still here to provide it?

So, what should I do?  Should I continue this search on Jephtha's history or should I spend my time talking with the living to get their memories?  There is so much that I've lost because I was too busy with myself.  So what if the stories I hear are not specifically about Jephtha?  If I spend a few days with a World War II veteran, the stories would still be appropriate, right?

(Father God, direct me.  Place on my heart the direction that you would have for me.  Light my passion for what you have created me.  In the name of Jesus I pray, Amen.)

No comments: