Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Traveling Too Fast

Traveling is a most tedious activity.  I am confined to a minimal space speeding along with a multitude of others in their own minimal space.  My movements are restricted.  I have no comfortable place to put my feet.  Comfort in general is difficult to find.

Outside my window an interesting tree flashes by.  A sparkle of color catches my eye and is gone.  A nondescript sign silently states how far it is to the next something.  A bland sign limits how fast I can travel.  None speak of excitement.

Buildings.  Hay bales.  Fences.  Fallen trees.  Cows.  Horses.  A rare deer.  A glimmer of water.  All are observed in the briefest of moments.

The guard rail is a blur.  There is no time to savor the uniqueness of anything.  There is no time to appreciate the details.  Rust roofed barns display only for a moment.  Even the fluffy clouds have soon faded to nothing.  One is replaced quickly by another.

Oh, how like my life traveling sometimes is.  So many times I'm moving so fast I can't see the details.  The joys are a blur, just a glimpse.  It's here and now I've passed it by.  The sound of my 2 year old daughter's laughter.  The seriousness of my son at work with building blocks.  The touch of my spouse at the end of a day.  The moments come, I see it but I don't get to savor the details.

O, that I would take the time to savor the details.  I should make a conscious decision to feel, taste, smell, hear, and see the details of sitting on the couch watching a movie with my love.  I want to deliberately absorb all that God has to share with me on this journey of life.  I must stop traveling too fast.

(Father God, how I want to know You on the journey.  I want to feel all that You have for me.  I want You.  Keep me from traveling too fast to know and love You with all my heart and soul.  I praise You!  In the name of Jesus I pray, Amen.)

1 comment:

Allie Michelle said...

I LOVE THIS. You have such a way with your words...thank you for what you write. I enjoy your posts so much. Allison