Thursday, August 4, 2011

Old Dog

My husband's dog is old.  When you look up ancient in the dictionary, his picture is there.  Caesar is 18.5 years old.  He has control of his bowels.  He can still get up.  He can bark if coaxed extensively.  His sense of smell has diminished but he still has it.  He leaks.  He has arthritis.  He's old.

Old Dog
And, he can't see very well.  Okay, he can barely see.  He likes to be lead.  It doesn't take a leash to lead him just a slow walk.  If you think having a toddler follow your every move is tough, try having an old dog follow you.  We take really slow walks around the back yard.  (We hunt cicadas this time of year.  He loves to eat the dead dry ones.)  Then we come back in, get a drink, check our food bowl, and wait for a biscuit (treat).

I wonder if I'll be like that when I'm old. Will I leak?  Will I be able to speak if coaxed?  Will I be able to see?  Do I want my Lord to lead me?  Can I take a slow walk around with Jesus leading the way?  Will my eyesight be so bad that all I can see is the Lord leading directly in front of me?  Will all the other stuff in life just be a blur around the edges?  When we finish our walk, will Jesus provide me a cool drink, some food, and a treat?

(Father God, I pray that I can be so focused on you that all the stuff around the edges has no meaning.  If you grant me old age, I pray that it will be filled with following you.  In the name of Jesus, I pray.  Amen.)

No comments: