Wednesday, August 3, 2011

So Much Yet So Little

As I have been attempting to organize all the notes from several years of study and reading, I have come to the conclusion that I have so much info yet I have retained so little of it.  I find myself re-reading some of the journal entries that I've made over the years and thinking, "I don't remember writing that."  I'll read a verse that I know I've read many times before and think, "Wow, I don't remember reading that before."  I'll peruse the notes from a sermon and think, "Huh?  When was that?  I don't remember it."

This is a frustrating place for me to be.  After all, the purpose of this blog is to remember the God Moments. And I forget so many of them.  We are admonished in scripture to remember God's works of old (Isaiah 46:9) even to write them (Psalm 102:18).  HOW COULD I FORGET?

Forgetfulness is an indication that we cannot save ourselves.  We can't do it because we've forgotten the  gruesome works of our flesh.  I don't remember every lie I've told.  So, why do I forget so many of the God moments?  I'm wondering if it might be because they are so often tied to sin.  Or, more so, sin lurks at the door and blinds me.  I don't take the time to clearly see the God moments because I'm covetous or have vainly placed something else before Him.  The result is that I forget.

I rejoice in my salvation.  I remember that work of God!  That's when I realized that I was not worthy and that God was.  He cleansed me.  He created me new.  Oh, how wonderful!

(Father God, holy is your name.  Help us to remember your wonderful works - the old ones and the new ones.  Thank you in the name of Jesus, Amen.)

No comments: