Friday, April 1, 2011

Garden Lessons: The Pot, the Soil, and the Depth

As I've been attempting to start some plants for our garden, I've sought the spiritual parallels of what I've learned from our adventure.  It's not been a great adventure yet.  There's a lot of failure going around right now. However, I believe I have some things to learn from this and that's its purpose.  So, there will be a series of blog entries on "Garden Lessons."

First, I've learned that the pot you start with should be the pot the plant stays in until you are ready to put it in the ground.  Moving the plant from a small pot to a larger pot is just too much of a shock.  What kind of spiritual parallel can I see?  A new Christian should be left in the church in the class in which she was saved.  God placed that person exactly where he needs to be.  If you are saved in a small church, stay there for awhile.  You'll see why soon enough.

Next, I've learned that the soil in the pot cannot be packed.  It has to be loose enough for the roots to develop.  Yet, it can't be so thin that there is nothing to grasp.   What kind of spiritual parallel can I see here?  The new Christian should not be overwhelmed with sources of learning such as reading, doctrine, study, analysis, commentaries, evangelism classes, works, etc. all at once.  Nor should she be left without any source of learning.  The new Christian should be established with a starting level Bible reading plan ,a book of sample prayers or simple devotionals, and a basic doctrine study; thus, making his source of learning just right.

I've also learned that the seed has to be planted at the right depth.  If the seed is not far enough in the soil, the plant doesn't have to work to get to the surface and the root is not deep enough to support future growth.  This little bit of effort on the part of the plant creates a stronger plant.  But, if the seed is too deep, it can rot or be choked off from ever reaching the surface.  The spiritual parallel here is similar to the previous one.  The new Christian has to do some reading, praying, and study on her own or there is no foundation for faith.  And, he must not become bogged down in endless questions and fairy tales that result in a faith that rots and dies.

Now, someone has to get the pot, add the soil, and plant the seed at the right depth.  What spiritual parallel can I see here?  A new Christian needs a mentor.  A mentor is critical.  I can't stress this enough, fellow Christians.  Don't lead a person to Christ then leave her stranded without any direction!  Don't lead a person to Christ then abandon him!  This baby Christian needs you.

(Father God, thank you for the lesson you are teaching through the plants you created.  I'm so excited to learn more about you in this process.  Help me to put each new nugget of truth into practice.  In the name of Jesus, my Savior, I pray.  Amen.)

1 comment:

Allie Michelle said...

I love this. Thank you for posting. I always enjoy reading your entries. Allison