Friday, April 8, 2011

Garden Lessons: Light

I discussed some the things I've learned already in my previous "Garden Lessons" entry.

Continuing, I've learned that the new plant needs light very close to it.  When light is close to it, it doesn't try to stretch out seeking any light it can find.  You see, if the light is too far away, the plant becomes spindly and weak.  The stem has no strength to hold the new leaves as they develop.  What spiritual truth is there here?  A young Christian needs to be mentored by a strong Christian, one who is mature in faith.  And, the mentor needs to stay close to keep the young from stretching out and becoming weak.  Without the closeness of mentoring, the new Christian can reach out to any light source, even false light sources.  When the new Christian stretches too far, it results in a weakened faith that may eventually fail.  Like I said last time, a mentor is critical.

Another thing I've learned is that the light needs to be very close to the plant in order for the plant to foster a good root structure.  Without a good root structure, the stem and leaves loose their support.  If I keep the light just a few inches away from the top of the plant, it keeps the growth of the plant on track.  It gives the plant the time it needs to build the root system under the soil.  What spiritual truth lies here?  Yes, that's right, a new Christian has to develop a good basis of faith.  A good basis comes by hearing the Word of God.  Really, all it takes is sharing scripture with other Christians verbally.  Sometimes, it's as easy as reading scripture aloud.

True faith, true light, true growth, true anything is found only in a relationship with THE Creator, Sustainer, Judge, Truth - the great I AM.   I am so glad He is taking time to teach me through his creation even though the effects of sin are great upon it.  I'm excited to see what's next.

(Father God, thank you.  Thank you!  How incredible it is to examine the plants and how marvelous are the details and planning that went into them.  What great mercy that even after thousands of years, these sustaining plants continue to provide for me.  You are holy, holy, holy.  Praise and glory to You for ever.  In the name of Jesus I pray.  Amen.)

1 comment:

Allie Michelle said...

Oh my...have you been reading my mind, my mail, my blog? Or maybe you have ESP...your post is exactly what I needed to read. Wonderful!