It started as a bump and commotion from the dining room window. Our cat had tried to go through the window after something. I got up to check on her and she was intently watching the small wood pile on the patio. She was transfixed. "Uh-oh," I thought.
So, my son and I let her out the back door and over to the pile she scampers. She sniffs delicately around and around. She knows something is in there. My mind was racing. "I hope it's not a snake. I don't think I'd like that much," ran swiftly across my brain. Then, I saw it - a little bitty mouse. Relief flooded my muscles.
We moved the wood back and forth until she saw and pounced. Our fat, nine-year old cat caught that mouse. And, dropped it. It took off! (DUH!) We rousted it out from under the wheel barrow and she was on top of it again. She caught it, threw it, and caught it again. Our cat was having a moment. Finally, the poor mouse was dead and she finished her tiny meal.
Today, I find myself longing for the day when the cat and mouse will have a salad together. I grieve over the effects that our sin has on this natural world. My cat wasn't created to eat mice. She was created for the honor and glory of the Creator. How do I know this? "...All things were created by Him and for Him." (Col. 1:16) Does the Bible tell me that the cat and mouse will have a salad together? Not in those words. Isaiah prophesied of the time when the leopard will sleep with the baby goat and lions will eat hay. (11:6, 65:25) This coming time of peace has no hurt or destruction. YEA! Oh, that's what I'm longing for!!!
(Father God, how marvelous are your works! How awesome are your ways! How high are your thoughts! I praise you! I praise your name. Thank you for the promise of coming peace. Even so, come quickly, Lord Jesus! This I pray in your holy name, Amen.)
No comments:
Post a Comment