Jeptha Wilson Frunk was my great-uncle, the oldest brother of my grandmother. He never married, nor had any children. He served in the US Army during World War II and died in action July 3, 1944, in France. He is the closest relative that I have lost to combat. Yet, each time I see my own son’s name, I am reminded of the sacrifice that Jeptha made. You see, he carries Jeptha’s middle name as a constant memorial.
I am considered a part of Generation X. We are so comfortable with technology- using it, always having it. I even drafted my notes for this on my cell phone. But, technology has removed the personal touch of war. I am a US Navy veteran that served stateside support during the Gulf War, a conflict marked by the use of technology. Casualties of this war for us were few. Of the 575,000 troops and support sent, there were 148 combat deaths. So, in general, my generation doesn’t have a clue about Memorial Day. We have redefined this day to meet our own selfish desires. Sadly, Memorial Day has become the beginning of the summer pleasure seeking season.
I challenge those of you that fall in Generation X and beyond, to not let the true meaning of Memorial Day get lost. Today, with your children and parents, search your family tree. Find out who didn’t make it home from conflict. Post their photo on your wall. Celebrate their life. Talk of their sacrifice. Add them to your Facebook or My Space page. Twitter about them. Share with any who will listen that the honor with which these service members gave all, is an honor to God. As we are instructed in Psalm 78:4, do not hide this from the children. Show this to the generations to come. Show the wonderful works that the Lord has done.
(Father God, thank you for this country in which I live. Thank you for the service members that honor you by giving their life for the liberty we possess. Please bless their sacrifice. In the name of Jesus I pray, amen.)
No comments:
Post a Comment