Thursday, May 7, 2009

Issues of Life

What are issues of life?  The King James Version of Proverbs 4:23 says, "Keep thy heart with all diligence for out of it are the issues of life."  Other versions translate the issues of life as the source of life or the well spring of life.  The New Living Translation says, "Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life."  The verses before and after all speak to listening for God's wisdom, seeking His understanding, avoiding evil, and doing all this continually.

Sounds pretty important to me.  I must watch my heart daily, hourly to make sure I stay with the wisdom that God provides.  I must take captive thoughts that might lead to wickedness.  I must keep God's word deep in the midst of my heart and soul.  Without God's word, I would quickly turn back and forth between ideas.  I would look upon and follow evil easily.

(Father God, thank you for your Word that keeps my eyes looking right on.  Thank you for the time to ponder the path on which I go.  You are my source of stability.  You are my confidence. Let me never lose sight of that.  In the name of Jesus I pray, Amen.)

No comments: