Sunday, December 28, 2008

Praying to God

While working on the previous post, I began to wonder what is the proper way to close a prayer. What is the proper punctuation? How do I pray in Jesus name?

I did a quick search on the Internet and pulled myself to the example provided by God through His Holy Word for instructions. It really is pretty simple. Prayer is directed to God the Father in the name of God the Son (Jesus) delivered by the groaning of God the Holy Spirit.

"Father God, I am clay in your hands, help me to stay that way through all life's demands cause they chip and they nag and they pull at me." (Lose My Soul, Toby Mac) This is the beginning of my current favorite song. It starts the prayer properly and is an awesome example . While the song does not directly follow the example provided in Matthew 6 and Luke 11, it is none the less a heartfelt prayer. And while the words were not originated with me, they are also my heartfelt prayer.

I've heard so many times that the words of the prayer are not what are important but that God hears the cry of the heart. I believe this to be true. Prayers can be offered in many ways and it is the position of the heart and the words of the heart that God hears and acknowledges. When my heart cries out to Father God, He hears. God is so great and awesome. I'm excited as I learn more about Him.

(Father God, I am clay in Your hands. I know that You fashion me to be what You desire. I also understand that while I am clay, I have a free will - unlike earthly clay. I can make decisions that cause Your perfect plan to be marred. Yet, You quickly and wonderfully fix, smooth, rework, and perfect the clay. You don't remove the consequences of my bad decisions You use them to Your glory. I stand amazed at all times at how You can continually do that without losing it. Thank You Father God for loving me. In the name of Jesus, Amen.)

No comments: