Monday, July 27, 2009

Soapbox - Chain Letters

I'm starting a new feature called Soapbox. Yes, it's where I rant or rave about something that annoys or excites me. This week's feature is Chain Letters.

Why do people ruin a good email by ending it with a "you must forward this to 5 (or more) people in order to receive a blessing?" There are so many emails that I get that "have" to be forwarded in order to get the answered prayer or the benefit of it. How insane! Why can you not just tell the story and leave it at that?

I mean, really, how often do you tell a good tale in actual conversation and then follow it with "you have to tell five other people about this in order to have your prayers answered?" Can you imagine what your dinner conversation with your husband would be like? Or, what lunch with your girlfriends would sound like?

I refuse to forward them on in that manner. If I like the story and feel like it needs to be shared with others in my life, I delete all the "works" at the end of it and send just the blessing.

(Father God, thank you for the shared blessings of life. Help me to always remember that I do not need to add anything to what You have done for me. Help me to remember You own the cattle on a thousand hills and all the gold underneath. Your blessings are bestowed as You see fit. Thank you! In the name of Jesus I pray, amen.)

No comments: