Saturday, July 25, 2009

Hair Color - From the Archive

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

"Coloring the hair is about a youthful attitude." My friend relayed this sentiment while we were discussing hair stylist options. My mind turned this thought over and gnawed on it in the same way a dog badgers a bone. However, I can't find truth in it. Coloring my hair may give one a younger appearance but the truth is - I'm not young.

I feel old. I feel the weight of my duties and responsibilities and that weight won't be lifted just because I color my hair. The weight (emotionally and physically) of stress shows in the lines of my face. My frown lines are evidence of more duty and responsibility than fun. The stretched skin over my (okay, I'll say it) - fat - waist and thighs add to the older appearance. That won't go away if I color my hair.

I actually like the color of my hair. I'm even okay with the gray that is in it. Gray that is more evident when stress is taking it's toll. Healthy hair is a part of a healthy body. Coloring my hair will not make my body healthy.

I want to seek a healthy attitude. A healthy attitude will reflect a youthfulness.

(Father God, help me to be healthy. Replace my deceitful heart that cries over the harshness of this task with a new heart rejoicing in Your strength. This won't be easy for me during stressful times. This won't be easy for me over the long run. I am grateful that you are carrying me through this. You are my strong tower, my mighty fortress, my mercy, and my river of life. Thank you. In the name of Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen.)

No comments: