Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Giving My Best

Deuteronomy 17:1 "You shall not sacrifice to the LORD your God any bullock, or sheep, wherein is blemish, or any evilfavouredness: for that is an abomination to the LORD your God."

My God doesn't want rotten service. He wants the best. He gives the best, why should He expect anything less in return? As a matter of fact, anything less than the best is an abomination.

Consider that - an abomination. The society around me has watered down words like abomination. Oh, that's bad. No, that's fearful. If something is an abomination to you, you refuse it. You go above and beyond to make sure it never gets in your sight. You take the long way around to keep from being near it. You burn it. You stomp it under foot and grind it to powder. Yes, sloppy service on my part is an abomination to God.

I've not always been good at giving my best. When I'm sick, when I'm tired, when I'm bored - those are times when I have a tendency to give less than the best. Thankfully, God has pointed this out to me and is helping me get better. I'll never be able to give the best under my own strength because I don't have the best to give when it's of myself. My heart is deceitful. It will lie like a sneaky snake. It is only through the shed blood and resurrection of the only begotten Son of God that I can be found worthy.

I am so thankful that my God is gracious and full of compassion. He has inclined His ear unto me. Yes, my God is merciful. He preserves the simple - that's me. He brought me low and He helps me. (Psalm 111:4b, Psalm 116:2a, 5b, 6)

(Father God, thank you for examining my heart and trying my reins. I have been found lacking, LORD and it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. Please forgive me and help me to correct my service. Be my strong tower, my help and my shield. I trust You. In the name of Jesus I pray, Amen.)

No comments: