Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mercy, Mercy

Reading:  Psalm 136

"... For His mercy endures forever."

Every single verse in Psalm 136 ends with the same phrase.  I wonder if some One is trying to tell us some thing.  How incredible and awesome to know that God's mercy goes on eternally.  It has, does, and will last.  Mercy is a defining trait of the one true God.  It is mercy that doesn't fail, doesn't change, doesn't sway.  Constant, enduring mercy comes from God alone.

Our mercy may depend upon the circumstances in which we find ourselves.  For instance, on a good day we may extend mercy quickly and completely to a child that offends us.  But, tomorrow when we have a headache we offer only a limited version of mercy to the bleep-bleep that can't drive properly.

What is mercy?  The number one definition carries the meaning of compassionate treatment of or attitude towards an offender or adversary.  Synonyms include forgiveness, indulgence, leniency, tenderness, among others.  I've heard it said that mercy is not getting the punishment or consequences we deserve when we break the law or err in conduct.  Oh, wow!  I am so thankful and appreciate when some one shows mercy to me.  Have I shown mercy today?

(Father God, Thank you for the great mercy you show me hour by hour.  Please help me to show mercy to others.  Help me to show true mercy and not a watered-down version which causes me to hold the error over another.  Help me to forgive insults or offenses and give mercy freely.  In the name of Jesus I pray, Amen.)

No comments: