Thursday, September 30, 2010

Suffering Servant

How could God be a suffering servant? I mean, isn't God perfect? What could cause Him pain, distress, injury, loss, a penalty, or death? Why would He patiently or willingly allow or permit it?

I don't like suffering. I don't understand how God allows and participates in suffering. Yet, He has told me why.

Mark 1:41 - "And Jesus, moved with compassion..." Mark 3:5 - "...being grieved for the hardness of their hearts..."

God is moved with compassion and it grieves Him when our hearts are hard against our fellow humans. So, how does that explain suffering? Suffering comes from us. Oh, yes, it does. I love my children. Yet, as a parent, my deepest pain and distress comes from those children. When they don't recognize how I care for them or when they are on a destructive path, it causes me pain. I love my parents. Yet, a deep loss that I have felt came when my father died. I feel pain as I watch my mother go through cancer treatments. I love the father of my children. Yet, divorce has caused intense pain there. I love my husband. Yet, I know that he holds my heart and could cause devastation. Unfortunately, I have also caused others pain. Unfeeling words spoken without thought, rash judgement made without knowing all the details, taking for granted care and consideration provided for me - all this results in suffering.

How is it that Jesus could suffer? His love for us is so great that when we step outside what is good for us and harden our hearts to Him, it grieves Him. He suffers. We suffer. Ouch.

None the less, Jesus does what is right. He is the truth. If you read the first part of Mark 3, it tells of Jesus healing even though He had been set up by the hard hearts of men. He wanted men to desire the healing of the injured one. But they didn't. They only wanted to "catch" him violating one of their own laws. Take note, Jesus didn't violate His law.

Sadly, suffering will remain as long as we are disobedient.

(Father God, forgive me for causing you pain. Thank you for the forgiveness you freely and quickly offer. Help me to be aware of when I am causing the suffering of others so that I may repent of that. Thank you for spending time talking with me and teaching me. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.)

No comments: